Skip to content
Best Practices for Internet Security
How can I improve my computer’s security?
- Apply software updates and enable automatic updates.
- Install and use antivirus software.
- Enable and configure your firewall.
- Remove unnecessary software.
- Modify unnecessary default features.
- Operate under the principle of least privilege.
- Secure your web browser.
- Secure your router.
- Use caution with email attachments and untrusted links.
- Create strong passwords.
How can I shop safely online?
- Create and maintain your online shopping accounts safely
- Establish a strong password for each online shopping account.
- Use different passwords on each of your online accounts.
- Check out as a guest to avoid saving payment information online
- Use one credit card online or pay through a secure online mechanism.
- Use well-known online retailers that have an established reputation for cybersecurity.
- Look for the lock the symbol at the top of your browser or “https” in your URL bar.
- Never shop or log in to personal accounts when on public Wi-Fi or a public device.
- Do not leave your browser open on a shopping site for long periods of time.
- Keep your devices up-to-date. Always apply updates to your devices and software when they are available.
What is the best way to avoid a malware infection?
- Update and patch your devices and software.
- Never click suspicious or untrusted links.
- Only download from trusted sources.
- Backup your data and be sure the backups are good!
- Use antivirus and other protective software on your device.
- Configure your devices with some security in mind.